Sunday, February 24, 2008

New Goals!

02/23/08

I have completed my first week on the road. My goals have changed a bit as I have discovered more about the "Zzzoomer effect" I am much faster than I thought I would be. Now I am going to shoot for 100k per day average. For the teams that I am running with This new goal will be retroactive from the start and as long as you have met your weekly goals your team will stay with me. My rules for this are that one can increase their mileage goals but can not decrease them. I have a small cushion going into the mountains but not much. I am hoping that if I fall behind my goal I can make up for it on the other side of the Continental Divide.

I am no longer trying to "break the record" for the solo journey runner classification as defined in John Wallace III's website. However setting that as my initial objective made sense to me when I was only running. But now that I have chosen "Fun over Fame" I hope that no one is too disappointed.

I have said all along that this is not just running, but now I have to conclude that it really is a completely different athletic activity. I do run a lot but I "scoot & glide" which I call Zzzooming a lot as well and that saves my muscles and I hope will help prevent any over use injuries. This "run" has all along been about inspiring kids (of all ages) to get out and exercise. I don't have any children of my own and this is my way of sharing some of my knowledge and energy in a fun way. This crazy contraption is a great conversation starter. It is a conversation magnet! The older boys are curious about the techno gadgets like the solar power & GPS systems.

Another objective of mine has been to see if I have what it takes to run around the world with Jesper Olsen beginning in July. I chose this time period because may want to run the 6 or 10 day race in NYC again. Since I had to run in the winter I had to choose a southern route (which several people have noticed is shorter) this is a coincidence but it also serves my objectives in staying healthy during what I am considering an epic training run.

So far I am Happy,
healthy and still Zzzooming down the road.

I hope this helps explain some of my motivations and decisions

Glen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am in Pheonix but left Oceanside today for work here this week. I have been following your progress since you left Oceanside. I enjoyed the comments about 29 stumps as I am a former Marine who spend a lot of time there, in the field and in the bars. Ty from Oceanside, CA

anuday said...

So this zzzooming is somewhere between running and coasting, like on a bike!