Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nice visiting Mississippi, Hello Alabama!




I had a surprise visit from Bud Glassberg and his daughter Ellie. Bud is the teacher/organizer of the Eagle Elementary Beagles. They are bound and determined to chase me down for bragging rights to the most kilometers run. They don't want a handicap, they are challenging me head on. With 155 kids they are pushing me. It was fun running with him.


I spent the night in Columbus MS and I had a nice meal given to me by Harvey's. It began raining pretty good so I spent the morning working on getting a new Driver's license and Credit cards. I also mailed home almost 20lbs worth unneeded clothes etc that I didn't want to just throw away.

In Tuscaloosa, AL I met some fantastic people when I came into town late at night to fix a small but important part on the Zzzoomer. I got help from Eric at the Velocity bike shop. Later we went out for sushi and met some of his friends. One of the guys was Dr. Rob Hope, a podiatrist, and cyclist. He offered me a room in his home for the night, I accepted for the first time on this trip. I am glad I did. He had a truck and we put the Zzzoomer in the back (he bought me back to the same spot in the morning so I didn't miss any ground). I still haven't received any shoes from ECCO (that's a sore topic for later discussion). He gave me a new pair of shoes and I met his wife Christine and two little girls. They were great. Christine called the local TV station and within an hour I was being filmed by the local ABC affiliate for channel 33/40.

I had lunch in Brent, Alabama and met a couple friendly locals and got interviewed by another newspaper and I have a conference call schedule for another interview coming up in the next half an hour. I just I'm starting to get noticed. It is flatering but it takes time and I am having a harder time getting my miles in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.